Date and Time
Half-day seminar: Wednesday 25 September
About this seminar
Modernisation initiatives of recent years from the Strategic Management Initiative, through Delivering Better Government, the Quality Customer Service Initiative, Customer Service Charters and the PMDS system have prioritised improvements in customer service in the public sector. These initiatives aim to simplify procedures and make services more accessible. Public services must also respond and adapt to changing demographics and social conditions, new technologies and rising expectations of citizens.
This seminar will advise and assist public sector staff on the “front line” in providing a high standard of service to members of the public and internal clients through effective, efficient interactions. This seminar will be useful for staff in Government Departments and State Agencies, or local government, education or health sectors. The Customer Service competency is one of 17 behavioural competencies in the PMDS competency framework, in the Group and Interpersonal Effectiveness Cluster.
- The 12 Principles for Quality Customer Service
- Making the customer feel important and valued
- Dealing with customers in a language other than English
- Presenting oneself professionally and how to create a good first impression
- Tone of voice, language, body language
- Empathy and sensitivity, listening skills
- Seeing yourself from the customer’s point of view and understanding their needs
- Being accessible: using voice-mail, acknowledging letters and emails, prompt replies, informing customers of your Direct Dial number and low cost rate numbers.
- Adapting your style for different situations (e.g. contact with EU and financial institutions, international agencies, regional authorities, the social partners, journalists, academics, economists and lobby groups)
- Essential telephone skills for customer service roles: structure of a call, controlling the call
- Giving information in writing and verbally
- Staying positive, handling stress, managing your reactions and emotions, understanding behaviour and how people think
- Explaining rules, regulations and legislation to customers
This seminar will give you a range of essential skills tips and techniques, step-by-step guide to handling different situations.
This seminar will be useful for staff in Government Departments and State Agencies, or local government, education or health sectors.
Continuous Professional Development
Attendees will qualify for 3 CPD points
Patricia Pleass is a professional Training Consultant with over fifteen years industry experience. She worked in the frontline for many years in the Customer Service industry and then went on to develop and deliver training courses for frontline staff. During her career Patricia has delivered training initiatives to both public and private sector organisations including Aer Lingus, AIB, Dell and Bank of Ireland. Patricia has delivered training programmes in areas as diverse as Customer Service, Supervisory Management, Managing People, Proactive calling, Train the Trainer & Interpersonal skills.
All of our open programmes can also be run on an in-house basis. For more information, see our page on In-House Training.