About our Interview Panel training
- Understanding the structure of the interview and the role and responsibilities of the Chair and of the Board Members
- Drafting appropriate interview questions with reference to the job description and/or competencies – focussing on competency questions, while situational and other questions are also discussed. Questions that should be avoided are also considered.
- How best to question and probe candidates during the interview, with a focus on finding the evidence of required skills, knowledge and competencies to support the scoring and decision-making process.
- Techniques and approaches to ensure candidates are given the best chance, while ensuring fairness and consistency.
- Advice on completing appropriate and complete interview notes
- Gathering relevant and appropriate feedback for candidates
- Ensuring legislative requirements and CPSA guidelines are adhered to throughout the interview process
- How to shortlist and considerations for the shortlisting process
- How to ensure that scoring decisions are well informed, fair and documented appropriately
- What unconscious bias is and how to overcome that in the interview process.
This course is highly interactive and practical and will give you the skills and confidence needed to interview in the Public Sector. It is relevant for interviewers working in HR or management roles in any part of the Public Sector, including Civil Service departments, Local Authorities or Public Sector agencies It is suitable for those who have not interviewed previously in the Public Sector as well as for those looking to refresh their interviewing skills. The course works particularly well when all the members of an interview panel attend this course at the same time.
Did you know?
PAI offer all of our courses as In-House programmes. For more information, see our page on In-House Training.